Well, I certainly did not expect this. If someone had told me that I would write a blog that would go viral in a matter of 24 hours, I would have deemed it impossible. Of course, the idea of having millions of people reading the words you penned yourself and taking time out of their day to share something you created is (almost) every person’s dream. But generally it stays just that. A dream.
You see, when I sat down to write my letter to Miley, I had no expectations. Well, I take that back. I expected my mom, nana, and maybe a few Facebook friends to share my blog and maybe to get a few “likes” but that was it. My excitement and hopes surely went up when Johnjay from The Johnjay and Rich Morning Show shared my blog. I got so excited that I told my best friend that maybe I could get up to 1000 views! And that I did. In a matter of 20 minutes.
Reading over the comments on the post has been encouraging, frustrating, and amusing all at the same time. At first, they were all generally positive, and then once I hit 10k views, they changed tone just a bit. Here are some of the rumors and speculations that I would like to address:
1. Some assumed that I wrote the letter for money because I am “a poor, needy, and sad” ministry school student who needs funding. While yes, it is true that I am about to start my second year of ministry school and I do need funding, getting money was never my intention. I had written a blog a few months ago about my school and fundraising, however that was written directly for family and friends who wanted to donate. Want to donate? Amazing! Don’t want to donate? There really would be no hurt feelings because again, that was never my intention. I wouldn’t ever expect a stranger to.
2. A few readers claimed that I was part of the Illuminati and hired by Mr. President himself to distract the general public from the current events in Syria. That one was amusing. I mean, I would be honored if Obama wanted to hire me to write a blog and if that were the case then I surely would not need to raise money to go back to school. So sadly, I must confess that that rumor is not true. Obama, please let me know if you need any assistance in the future. If I am too busy to help, let me refer you to Katie Cannon. She’s hilarious and brilliant and just as obsessed with the illuminati as I am.
3. Hundreds of readers felt that I was being a “holy roller” and was judging Miley. First off, I want to sincerely apologize if the letter came across that way. My heart was never to offend, but to encourage. I am deeply sorry to those who were offended. I really am a fan of Miley Cyrus and I am excited to see that she has managed to sustain a career in a city where stars fade quickly. Miley has an amazing life ahead of her and I send her my greatest blessings!
4. I understand that I used very extreme examples of what can happen to people when they abuse drugs and alcohol. I am aware that not every person ends up a college dropout, a stripper, or a heroin addict. The point that I was trying to make is that nothing good comes from the party lifestyle and the risks of disaster are severely heightened. My heart was for people to be aware of the risk they are taking when making decisions, whether good or bad.
5. And lastly, many readers assumed that I either was the world famous singer, Rihanna, or that I was using her name to attract attention. Neither are true. My real birth given name is Rihanna and has been since 1986 and no, I cannot give Jay-Z your YouTube channel or mixtape to listen to. If I do ever have the opportunity to meet Jay-Z, I will try to keep you in mind but most likely I will be too obsessed trying to meet Beyonce that I will probably forget about your mix-tape all together. It’s nothing personal. Sasha Fierce does that to you.
So there you have it. This experience of Internet insanity was exciting, unexpected, and very much appreciated. Thank you so much for reading my blog and for sharing on twitter, Facebook, and whatever other social media sites are out there! You all definitely made this something that I will remember forever.