I am a huge believer in friends. I mean, that should be a given considering most of the population has a need for relationships and friendships. But, I am a HUGE believer in friends. I’ve had the same best friend for going on twenty years and we talk everyday thanks to a 7 month-long group message that includes our other best friends. Sometimes, when you feel so close to a person it’s easy to forget to tell them how much you really appreciate them. So, being a blogger I figured, what better way to show my appreciation than to declare it on the internet. If you are my friend, I appreciate you so much that here are my top ten promises that I will keep to you:
1. I will try to like everything you post. Sometimes this can be difficult, especially when I have to weed through my news feed filled with animal memes and a passive-aggressive Jesus who wants me to share his picture. But I will do my best. Honestly, sometimes it really annoys me that you look like you’re having the time of your life with someone other friend, but I know what it feels like to post something totally awesome and have only 3 family members like it. We live in a world where our worth is solely based on likes and I be sure to make sure your low self-worth will not be caused by my social media negligence.
2. I will listen to you complain about your weight and then immediately go eat nachos with you. Because, our diets start tomorrow and I know I won’t get the opportunity to eat guilt-free nachos until we break our diet which will be in about a week.
3. I will attempt to try out the latest and greatest fad diet with you. Mostly because I want to support you but partly because I have this fear you might actually stick with the diet and end up hotter than me.
4. I’ll endure listening to you talk about your crush. I won’t like it. It will be annoying having to hear about how he side-hugged you in the church lobby and how you both just happen to love the same band (that millions of other people love) and how you had a dream about your husband and *gasp* he looked just like him! I will listen because I am trying to care and I know that you will return the favor when my crush side hugs me someday.
5. I’ll stalk your crush for you. Don’t worry! I won’t be obvious and friend request him, but I will go through all his pictures (God, please let them be public) and will be sure to screen shot and send you the ones where he looks absolutely ridiculous and frankly, ugly. You need to know what you’ll be getting yourself into.
6. I will tell you your crush is a total tool. You won’t like it. It may result in an all-out fight that includes yelling, black mascara tears, and our other friends ditching us because they feel awkward. You will thank me someday and we will laugh about it. I promise.
7. I’ll love you through depression. I will ask you to hang out even though I know you will decline. I will post on your wall proclaiming my love for you. I will start watching Degrassi not because of wheelchair Drake, but because I know it’s your favorite show and I want to feel close to you. I will force you to go out to dinner with me. Most likely, you will be a drag the entire night but I’ll pretend to not notice. In a way, you forced my perseverance upon yourself. You should have known that when you forced me to get out of bed at 6pm and go to Macaroni Grill and watched me cry into their fluffy, carb-filled bread about my boyfriend breaking up with me that I would someday do the same to you.
8. I’ll clean up after you. Okay, so I won’t promise that I will do this all the time. In fact, I can guarantee that I won’t do this every time. But I know that there are just some days when it’s early and you’re late for church so you end up leaving miscellaneous items around the house including (but not limited to) my comb that you broke, your comb that you used since you broke mine, your pajamas on the couch, random shoes in the hallway, a towel on the floor, makeup brushes on the sink and coffee grounds on the counter along with a half eaten banana. Don’t you worry, girl, I got you (this time).
9. I’ll be brutally honest with you. I won’t sugar coat how out of control you got after you’re 12th shot of tequila. While your other friends don’t want to embarrass you, I will be sure to tell you every skin-crawling detail of your behavior and I promise to also try to bring it up every few weeks just to make sure you stay humble because I care about your character.
10. I will always support you. You’re going to make great decisions as well as bad (see #9), either way I will always have your back.
All joking aside, you are my lifeline and my biggest support. I wouldn’t want to do life without you because your love is what makes me who I am. For that, I am eternally grateful and my prayer is that I can be that kind of friend to you. Meredith Grey says it best by saying, “The people that are still with you at the end of the day – those are the ones worth keeping. And sure, sometimes close can be too close. But sometimes, that invasion of personal space, it can be exactly what you need.”
Sharing is my love language! Like this post? Share it on Facebook, twitter, google+, or whatever else you’d like!